A pate choux on top of an almond flavored crust. I've been making this for years . . . it's yummy.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 t. almond extract
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 to 2 tablespoons warm milk or heavy cream
Chopped toasted almonds
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place 1 cup flour in medium bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup softened butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons water and the almond extract over mixture; toss with fork.
2. Gather pastry into a ball; divide in half. Pat each half into 12x3-inch rectangle, about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
3. In 2-quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup water to rolling boil; remove from heat. Quickly stir in almond extract and 1 cup flour. Stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Spread half of the topping over each rectangle.
4. Bake about 1 hour or until topping is crisp and brown; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely.
5. In medium bowl, mix all glaze ingredients except nuts until smooth and spreadable. Spread over top of pastry; sprinkle with nuts.