Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Road to La Rue

Today was a little more hazy than most beach days here . . . no matter. We still put our time in and managed to sit in those beach chairs for a number of hours.

Each day I pack two novels and have trouble deciding which one is my choice for the day. Today I chose The Road. Let me tell you, by the time I packed up my gear and headed back to the yellow cottage I wanted to carve both eyeballs out. How I managed to avoid this book for so long is a mystery to me. Perhaps it's the aversion I have to post-apocalyptic anythings . . . movies, books, whatever. Mostly I felt as if I'd read a collection of Frank McCourt novels back to back. At least in his novels the babies died of starvation. None were eaten. I really may never be the same.

I did the only thing I could possibly do. I went to LaRue du Chocolat, a quaint little chocolate shop down a secluded and lovely landscaped alley in the heart of Laguna Beach. Know what? It wasn't enough.




post signature

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Can I just say?... The Road is responsible for the reversal of my opinion regarding gun ownership. I wish I were kidding. The Road haunts me and practically made me want to join the NRA. Seriously, what the heck. That's a powerful book. I made my book club read it. Luckily, they still talk to me.

Even though it haunts me... I've done my best to convince readers that it has one of the most hopeful endings ever. Considering people roast babies in it, and all.

Patti said...

Yes, it's definitely one of those books. I knew it immediately, and I'm certain it will haunt me for a very long time.

How an author can craft a tale of hopelessness so well and turn it around on one page . . . wow. I'm a sucker for that hope thing.

I'm not sorry I read it. Just devastated.

Bridget said...

Love your yummy posts, Patti. I am happily hungry when I read it.