Monday, August 17, 2009

Crystal Cove

Tonight we took a drive for dinner to Crystal Cove, an historic beach district just north of Laguna, before you get to Newport Beach. It's been the site of many movies . . . think Treasure Island. It had a hippie feel to it for sure - the cliffs are dotted with little shacks - but it' a beautiful spot. Anyway, does this really mater? No, it doesn't . . . not one bit . . . because we only went there to eat. Isn't that what this blog is all about? Yep. My blog is all about pictures of pork chops. And meatloaf. And cupcakes. And pretty much nothing else...

Our appetizer came highly recommended, the Roasted French Feta. It came with marinated oven roasted tomatoes (I have to try to duplicate these),an olive tapenade, and was served with slices of ciabatta. Delicious. I do believe my fingers are swollen from all the salt and brine in the feta and the olives. That happens to you, right? Am I the only one having a hard time typing right now?

This is my Banana Leaf Mahi Mahi on a bed of couscous with diced peppers, green onions, then wrapped in a banana leaf and baked. It was served with a side of grilled pineapple and supposedly topped with a dark rum (are you sensing a theme here?) butter sauce, but I will eat my hat if there was rum in that. What IS the origin of that saying, anyway?

David's pork chop grilled and then glazed with the house BBQ sauce. It was served with roasted potatoes, parmesan aioli cream corn and wilted baby spinach. He did NOT eat the spinach.

The atmosphere was fun and we're glad we went . . . but tomorrow we are staying just in Laguna, even opting out of going to that place I said I wasn't going to bring up again. Rhymes with Tinkles. Over and out.

post signature

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

That pork chop is making me want pork chops. And I don't even like pork chops.