Thursday, September 22, 2011

when autumn leaves blow through my window...


The entire blogosphere is talking about the arrival of Fall and pumpkin things and apple desserts . . . and it happens to be 102 degrees in Las Vegas today. Whatever. This is the only bone I have to pick with this city I call home. If not for the Autumn season and everything that comes along with it I would have no beef with living in the desert. I love the dry heat and I've made peace with what holidays feel like living here . . . my holiday cues are no longer triggered by cooler temperatures. I have adapted. That is until I anticipate that first day of autumn (tomorrow). Then I want foliage. And cooler temperatures. Apple cider and EVERYTHING pumpkin. I crave all things that scream toasty warmth like those herbs (you know the ones), roasted things and baked goodies made with nutmeg and cinnamon. Right this very second I am sighing.

These things help:

Caramel Apples. Do it. You won't regret it.

Apple Crisp. Bridie and I are on the same page when it comes to this. Nana's recipe.

Apple Cake. Thank you, Anna Mason. Are you still alive?

Pumpkin Cheesecake dangerously close to the one at Cheesecake Factory.

Butternut Squash Soup. 'Nuff said.

My grandmother's Chili Sauce. It has no resemblance to anything 'chili' . . . it's like a relish. The way this makes my house smell is a Fall memory.

Weight Watchers Crustless Pumpkin Pie. 1 point for 1/4 of the pie. Small scoop of Fat Free Cool Whip? Yes, please.

Just Chicken Pie. Perhaps we could re-name this little gem of a recipe and just call it "Dave's Nemesis". It is his source of ruin.

post signature

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I really wish I could be there when you make something (anything) apple.

(You could argue that I could make it myself? I cannot. Make it myself, that is.)

:)

Joyce said...

Dearest Patty, I so hope you don't leave your blog,
it is so many things to emit gives me insight into my wonderful little Grandsons other Grandparents and family, I love to see and read about the food you love to cook, and the trips you take, I'm so despret to learn aboutbt Ethans other Grandparents, I know without a doubt that you are wonderful people, That reelects in your Children, Zach is a wonderful young man and so good with Ethan, Ethan worships his Dad, Iv met Patrick, whom was wonderful to me and we had a wonderful time visiting, Both Zach @ Patrick awe outstanding young men, Ms Patty, its You and your Husband I was to learn about, You see your my only Grandsonsother Grandparents and while I know your wonderful, loving, and religious people I like having a glimpse into your lives, I'm pretty sure the kids are moving out there near you in a few months, and I think thats an excellent idea, This way Ethan will be near family, where I live I live 12 hrs from him, we have a small family but nothing like yoursBut we have a very very deep love for him,, Id love living out there to and at one point we talked about it but I had my children to raise and I was afraid to take a chance, Yes Ms Patty, I to get those notes from the administrators but I just wait a few days until you get it all fixed, Im not some crazy stalker, I just like knowing ever aspect of Ethans life, I want to know who is in stand what he`s doing and if he is having a good time, I love seeing all the pictures especially when your all together and Ethan is surrounded by family, I have a great respect for You and your Family, so I hope you will allow me to sit here in the background and just watch, Maybe we could exchange emails and photos sometime, I'm on Facebook if you should ever want to come look at my pictures & things, I keep it all private tough, so you would have to join again, ill miss you if you delete your blog but I understand completely and just cause sometimes its nice to know, Im here should ever need me, Joyce Lynch (aeroheart1@yahoo.com