
Sunday was our Ward Christmas Sacrament Meeting. Usually this meeting is some sort of Christmas "program", if you will. The Ward Choir tends to sing a lot during this program (not that I don't enjoy the choir [good job, honey], I do) . . . but Sunday's meeting was remarkable, at least for me. Several members of our Ward were on the program, the first being a man I don't know very well. He read an excerpt from his father's journal from Christmas Eve, 1943, at a time when he found himself alone in a strange city during the war. My thoughts immediately turned to my son (you, Zach) in Baghdad and I don't mind telling you, I was a puddle. I am thinking quite a bit about what the speaker shared, so today, Zach, I want to tell you . . . when I see a serviceman at the airport (or anywhere, for that matter) I do that thing people have done to you. I am not shy under these circumstances. I walk up to them and I extend my hand. I thank them and let them know I appreciate their service and sacrifice. Because I really really do. So thank you for teaching me how much a small gesture can mean to someone.
Merry Christmas Combat Medic Zachary Lunn. I love you. Be safe.
P.S. Watching White Christmas just isn't the same without you.

3 comments:
that sounds like an amazing sacrament meeting. i teared up a little reading this. i grew up an "army brat" and feel especially grateful for our service men and women.
merry christmas to you and zach!
What a beautiful post, Patti. Thanks for sharing.
I second your heartwarming Merry Christmas to my very sweet and brave brother.
Zach's Christmas card came to my house today... I want to take a bite out of that mini-Zach. He looks delicious.
Post a Comment