Saturday, June 4, 2011

Trader Joe's Cocoa - Chocolate Cake Recipe


Trader Joe's Cocoa Powder . . . run and buy it. It's inexpensive and very high quality - it made a superior chocolate cake. I do believe this is my new "go to" chocolate cake recipe.

3 1/3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups cocoa
3 cups sugar
1 T. baking soda
1 t. salt
12 oz. butter
3 cups buttermilk
1 t. vanilla
5 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9" round baking pans or line cupcakes cups with paper liners. Place all ingredients in electric mixer bowl and beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Pour into prepared pans and bake for about 55 minutes or 20-25 if you're baking cupcakes.

This recipe is far better than the one on the back of the Hershey Cocoa can. I frosted it with both a rich cocoa chocolate frosting and later with a buttercream. The buttercream had these jimmies on top, from Holland. I was hopeful they'd be similar to the crunchy European jimmies Sprinkles uses. Not so much, but they were better than supermarket sprinkles. The cover of the box amuses me - the sprinkles are on top of toast. Who does that? I've been to Amsterdam, so I know the answer.

post signature