Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Posie Gets Cozy and an oh-so-delicious cake...

I've read Posie Gets Cozy for years now, despite the fact that I do not do any needlework, I do not knit and I do not sew. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate her talents.

When I read her recent blog post entitled "New Birthday Cake?" I knew I had to treat myself to this special baking pan. I'm a sucker for a Scandanavian dessert. The pan arrived over the weekend and Sunday . . . well, I made the cake twice. The first time it was covered in powdered sugar, the second time in turbinado.



Alicia made the lemon version, I (of course) opted for the almond. The cake is light . . . my third attempt will definitely be with the vanilla sugar.

You can order the Rehrucken Baking Pan from Pipka's of Door County here. The recipe is as follows:

Pipka's Scandinavian Almond Cake

Beat well:

1 1/4 C sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
2/3 C milk

Then mix in:

1 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

And slowly add:

1 stick melted butter

Butter and flour cake pan. Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 for 38-45 minutes until golden brown. Cool in pan for 6 minutes. Invert cake onto cooling rack. Sprinkle with confectionary sugar before serving. Variation; Before pouring batter, sprinkle sliced almonds in the pan bottom. Recipe can easily be doubled. Cake freezes well.

VARIATIONS
* Substitute lemon extract and add zest of lemon
* Substitute lemon extract and add poppy seeds
* Substitute orange extract and add zest of orange
* Substitute vanilla extract and add blueberries
* Substitute rum extract and top with shredded coconut

...OR ADD TO ORIGINAL RECIPE

* Blueberries
* Chopped dried cherries plus some chocolate chips
* Top cake with sliced almonds
* Spread cake with Nutella and jam!

Pipka's Special Turtle Cake

Mix up original recipe, putting half the dough in the pan. Then drizzle caramel sauce across the dough, then sprinkle mini chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Spoon in the rest of the dough and bake as always. Scrumptious!

Special thanks to Alicia Paulson for allowing me to share her beautiful photos of this delicious cake. It is stunning.

post signature