Thursday, July 12, 2012

rain rain go away

Today's haze turned to rain.  It does not alter a surfing enthusiast's agenda.  They are out there waiting for the wave, early morning until late.  There are large clusters of surfers all along this beachfront, with surf schools on every corner.  Waiting.
Today was coconut cupcake day at Sprinkles, not to be confused with the chocolate coconut cupcake day.  Right now their special cupcake is salted caramel . . . and tomorrow a week of cherry cupcakes begins.  This picture was taken after my spouse ate the banana cupcake, before he ate the carrot cupcake and the two coconut cupcakes.  If you know him you know I'm not joking.  Did you really think I was going to skip blogging about Sprinkles?
How about we talk consignment shops? Like Corona Del Mar consignment shops, home of used Louis Vuitton and Prada and Oscar de la Renta?  I have a couple of favorite shops I pop into when I come to Laguna Beach.  These high end consignment shops line Pacific Coast Highway and they're fascinating.  I once visited a shop where a woman liked a certain bag so much she bought it in every color and print.  After never carrying some of them, using some a few times . . . she was just bored with them.  Consignment shop.  Used Gucci glasses, Tory Burch flats, Christian Louboutin red bottom shoes, Chanel suits (the pink one today was a steal at $2200) and Hermes scarves.  It's a study in hoarding of the rich I tell you - many items have the original tags on them.  Once I passed on a pair of black patent Chanel flats.  They were well worn, but with lots of life left in them, and the price was right - something like $40.  I ended up telling myself I didn't need them.  That still haunts me because not only were they spectacular, they were comfortable.  Reverse of buyer's remorse.  I've only ever bought one thing in all my visits to these shops, a $20 purchase.  Visiting these shops, well, it's sort of like an academic study of humanity.  I'm not even joking.

By the way, I'm usually in my favorite consignment shop when my spouse is in his favorite New York pizza place, a mere half a block away.  The proprietor claims he uses New York water to make the dough (supposedly the secret to New York pizza) and my spouse bought it hook, line and sinker.  He's rabid for this place and I rarely eat pizza, so it sort of works perfectly.

I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw.  After reading Kitchen Confidential I was happy I added this book to my library queue.  He takes no prisoners.  It's funny and a foodie's delight.  Love it.

Forecast is for sun tomorrow.  I'm counting on it.

post signature

5 comments:

Jessie said...

Do you plan your vacations around the Sprinkles schedule? I would!

Patti said...

I don't, but I happen to know August usually means a raspberry cupcake. Wanna take a drive? :)

Miss you. For real.

Jessie said...

Yes! This girl is never afraid of a road trip even better that it's for a yummy cupcake. And of course the wonderful company.

Miss you more! Enjoy the rest of your trip and eat a cupcake for me. :)

Patti said...

Let's talk. It only took us 4 hours and 20 minutes to get here. I'm not even kidding.

Bridget Lundrigan said...

Those cupcakes are huge. Four? I can't eat half of one! I think it's dads superpower.