Thursday, July 12, 2012

C'est si bon and a few other random things....

Yep, we wear hats on the beach.  We're old.
There is no sun today.  Yesterday was much like this . . . thick haze that doesn't deter people from sitting on the beach.  Who can complain, you know?  It's lovely.
. . . . . . . . . .

I am almost done with Ninety Days by Bill Clegg.  Ah, the honesty.  I think I blogged about his first book, Portrait of An Addict as a Young Man because, well, this is a world that is so mystifying to me (and hard to understand) that I just really couldn't believe what I was reading.
. . . . . . . . . .

We went to the movies last night.  Last time we were at the beach the Island Cinema at Fashion Island was closed for renovations.  We bought our tickets and realized it was $17.50 to see a movie there.  You're kidding, right?  Turns out it's an over-21 theater with over-sized leather seats . . . they were serving beer and wine.  As in waiters - during the movie!  And hummus.  Was it worth it?  No.  Because we're old.
. . . . . . . . . .

When I vacation at the beach I like to take home something to decorate my house from one of two of my favorite shops in Laguna.  I take my time deciding on my special purchase, sometimes days.  Last year it was a beautiful beachy throw with starfish on it.  It's draped over a nice chair in my living room and (full disclosure) I really don't want anyone to touch it.  When I look at it I am reminded of the Manzanita Cottages and the fun time we had.  This year I bought a black linen lumbar pillow at Cottage Furnishings.  I'm kind of crazy about it.  The other place I adore is Tuvalu in Laguna Village, even if I have a moral objection to a pillow with a $175 price tag.
. . . . . . . . . .

This tart, oh this tart.  It deserves a dedicated blog post.  The bakery is in Newport Beach, C'est Si Bon.  What's so special about this particular apple tart?  If I knew I'd be baking them every single day.  The filling isn't typical pastry cream, but a sturdy almond filling.  I know there's almond paste in there . . . if only I knew the proportions.  I have a suspicion the apple slices are dried when they put them on top of the tart because they have a chewiness to them that isn't typical. The glaze is like a deliciously reduced and homemade apple jelly.  I would go to great lengths to have the recipe for this tart . . . maybe that Bon Appetit column might convince them to share?

post signature

No comments: