Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Why must it be the human race?



Vacation is a few weeks away, but the vacation library queue builds all year.  Mostly I forget why I added that novel to my 'need to read it' list, but it's there.  Despite my increasingly failing memory I get ready to read and hope I was thinking straight the day I hit 'yes please, I would like to reserve this book.'

The Submission by Amy Waldman
Blue Nights by Joan Didion
Looking for Alaska by John Green
The Darlings by Cristina Alger
Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero by Chris Matthews
Wild Thing: a novel, by Josph Bazell
The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler
11/22/63 by Stephen King
The Litigators by John Grisham
Bond Girl by Erin Duffy
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

No judging.  Yes, John Grisham is there and YES, there's a book that qualifies as chick lit. 

There are others (books) ready to be packed into a sandy beach bag - a little John Irving, a few light comedy reads, everything appropriate for Laguna Beach.  Laguna, the place where the human race isn't in a race.  THAT is why I love it so...

This year we splurged and rented an oceanfront place, something we haven't done since 1995 when the entire family was together.  Not that the four block walk from Manzanita was slumming it (by any stretch of the imagination), but there's something about this little private balcony facing the Pacific that makes me think this might be a completely different vacation.  I'm not certain I'm going to want to leave the little place, even for Sprinkles.

No segue...

I gave up diet coke.  It was torture. 

I gave up television.  I know.  Get over it.

All of this 'giving up' has caused increased bakery visits and much higher numbers on the scale.  Apparently I trade vices.

My sister in law recently said, "I can't wait until I'm old and I don't care what I look like anymore."  She was sitting next to her 92 year old mother who still denies herself a piece of See's candy because she's counting calories.  Good luck with that, Deb.

Have you met Ruby?  No?  Look here.  Today this little seven month old miracle weighs 10 pounds.  I think she should get something for this milestone, don't you?

Pretty much all I have to say.

post signature

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, that is so funny that you gave up Diet Coke.

I gave up soda 17 days ago.

I know how many days it has been.

I may always know how many days it has been.

I write odes to Cherry Coke Zero in my head while I drive.

(I'm not sorry to leave it behind but I loooooove it so.)

Barbara said...

WOW! You gave up TV and diet coke! You are amazing!! And Baby Ruby is just so amazing. I can't believe she weighs 10 lbs. MIRACLE, is all I can say. Love ya! By the way, can you pack me in your suitcase when you go to Laguna, please?

Papa said...

Are you gearing up for beach blogging?

Emily said...

Beginner's Goodbye! I love that one.

I don't watch TV either.

Angel and Leigh said...

Your trip sounds so exciting! Reading about it is really making me crave a beach trip of my own. Hope you have the best time! Let me know what your favorite books were, I'm gonna have lots of free time for reading in July too ;)