Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What if this is the last time I ever come here?


The last couple of days haven't been beach days. That didn't stop us from going to the beach . . . but the clouds were everywhere. The surf has been extra rough and with a late high tide and those cloudy skies people went home. Except for us. We stayed. Later we took a drive up Pacific Coast Highway to Newport Beach, making our standard stops along the way. Then to Balboa Island to Ho Sum Bistro, my new beach culinary obsession. We walked and popped into a few resale boutiques, then down to the marina area. Then we talked about why we like Laguna best...

Now it's the day after Labor Day and everyone is gone. There is no hustle here and the sun is shining brightly, so we are headed to the beach with our books and our backpack chairs.

Read Long Drive Home. Later we can talk about it. I haven't stopped thinking about it. I'm 80 pages into a David Baldacci book - I've made the decision to walk away. I'm about to revisit The Catcher in the Rye and A Separate Peace. I threw in a little Joyce Maynard in (sort of) keeping with the theme.

No segue...

One of the things I love about Manzanita . . .if I wake up in the middle of the night and lay still . . . the ocean lulls me back to sleep. We are four blocks away, but without traffic you can hear the sea. I see the wisdom in those sleep machines playing ocean sounds.

No segue...

Last night (in my dream) I saw the computer fighting against me to win Scrabble. In my dream I wasn't putting a word down . . . the computer was scrambling to put down letters as fast as it possibly could. I woke up feeling a little smug. I don't recommend that...

post signature

No comments: