Sunday, August 14, 2011

la la la laguna...


Is there anything like the sea? Let me answer that question. No. No, there isn't. A week of lazy days, excessive reading and sitting in a beach chair until sunset.

Still, coming home always feels good. My house that I love, my bed, my cookware. Life is good.

A package was waiting for me from my cousin Jerry. It was so curious. Meticulously wrapped, boxes within boxes. Inside was a vintage Orrefors crystal vase. It was unusual. And then I read the note...

Dear Patti,

Laura and I got married on July 2nd, 1988. We received this beautiful vase from Min on that day. For various reasons this vase has had flowers in it for 23 years. Marianne is one of those reasons. It has never been empty.

So it is with great pride and pleasure that Laura and I hand this off to you to present to Bridget and Philip in celebration of their wedding. It is now officially a family heirloom. I can guarantee another 23 years of a strong marriage just by keeping flowers in this special vase. This is as clean as we can get the vase. The character marks represent all the wonderful memories between our families, from Lowell, to Minneapolis, Washington, DC, Dayton, Raleigh, Ft. Lauderdale and now home to Las Vegas.

With much love,

Jerry and Laura.

A beautiful welcome home. And the vase looks exactly like something my sister would have chosen...

post signature

2 comments:

cm2e said...

WOW! Now THAT's Sweet!

Me said...

they will not let us forget them. . . because they are still surprising us. What an awesome heirloom!