Wednesday, July 20, 2011

SoHo love...

I arrived at JFK at 6 a.m. and hopped into a cab to drop off my bags at our hotel. The hotel where Russell Crowe had a temper tantrum and threw his cell phone. Remember that? It seems we forget those things, no?

It was too early to check into our hotel, but they were nice enough to take my bags for safe keeping so I could set out on foot. First block I found one of our bookmarked restaurants. Balthazar is on for Saturday . . . my cousin spotted the short ribs on their special Saturday menu. Done.


I walked another block south (or east or north, whatever...) and there it was. The ultimate gourmet shop, the leader of the pack, Dean and Deluca. The best part? The man who gave me a tour, the one who never blinked when I took pictures all over his store. The man who said, "Give the bread counter another ten minutes. You won't believe how beautiful it is when he's finished with it." Take a peek. And this isn't even their flagship NYC store.









A few blocks away I walked through Little Italy and then Chinatown, past the Louis Vuitton store, a city block size Ralph Lauren store and lots of little gelato and cannoli stands. I tried my best to find Doughnut Plant, but I was really sleep deprived. I'm certain I shall be successful tomorrow as I can't stop thinking about that tres leches donut on their menu, not to mention the valrhona chocolate cake donut.Magnolia Bakery is on the list as is Ed's Lobster Bar, Bread, Bubby's and Chinatown Brasserie. I don't want to for get Nicky's Vietnamese Sandwiches.

What? You don't dream about donuts?

post signature

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Ooooooh, this is going to be a fun vicarious trip.

Melissa said...

Oh, and my thanks to Claire Marie for getting you to blog about the trip. I'm happy!

ellen said...

If you like fabric, go to Purl SoHo! It's very very cool.

BridgetToohey said...

We know Dad dreams about donuts! I was telling someone just today about that dream he had that I licked all of the donuts; that was the night he went to bed with one.

Dean and Deluca looks like heaven, I could spend some serious time in there.

Caitlin said...

Who doesn't dream about donuts? In my dreams they all have white frosting.