Thursday, July 21, 2011

Il Vagabondo and Off Broadway...

It's sweltering here. It feels like the Caribbean on an extra hot day. Con Ed is predicting power interruptions and there will probably be dead elderly piled up in the streets. Heaven help me. I was made to live in the desert.

We took a taxi to El Vagabondo. A few minutes early meant making friends with the bartender. He talked our ears off until a very kind man came and rescued us.

Emeril recommended the Veal Parmigiana and I'm happy I took his advice. So delicious.

Claremarie ordered the Eggplant Parmigiana . . . and we shared. It was perfect.

The atmosphere was simply nice. Three brownstones converted, one with an indoor bocce court, one section covered in photographs of famous visitors and the other facing a miniature terraced garden.


The room made the potato gnocchi (made on the premises) taste even better, sort of like how ice cream tastes better in a fancy dish.

Check out this dessert . . . a Tartufo. It was fresh creamy vanilla and chocolate ice cream centered with nuts and a cherry, wrapped in a fine bittersweet chocolate. This wasn't a hard shell of chocolate . . . it just looked like it. The chocolate hit your tongue and melted. It was lovely.


Have I mentioned my pants are tight? They are.

The timing was perfect once we finished. We hailed a taxi and headed up to see Rent. I have a permanent smile on my face. Awesome day, awesome memory.

post signature

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I want to do everything you did today and eat everything you did today. I'd even walk the 50 blocks!