Saturday, July 23, 2011

Balthazar, pomme frittes and tarte tatin

Tonight we went to the place Bobby Flay said has the best french fries in the universe, Balthazar. I've been waiting for this. I love a French bistro. It was all dark and French (that tiny black and white tile) with delicious bread baskets and a beautiful seafood bar.


This beautiful creation is my Warm Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart. It had a little frisee salad with some sun dried tomatoes and a tablespoon or so of olive tapenade. I put that tapenade on my bread. It was all luscious. The goat cheese was soft and light, almost like a souffle.

Clare had the Sweet Corn and Ricotta Ravioli with Lobster. The sweet corn was exactly that, tender and sweet with a little crunch to it.

Here are Clare's Short Ribs with garlic mashed potatoes and root vegetables.

I chose the Crisp Berkshire Pork Belly with baby leeks. I know what you're thinking. That sounds gross and it looks gross. I've never had pork belly but I was determined to cross that one off my list. I have to admit when they put my plate in front of me I felt like I'd made a mistake. Then I took a bite. It was memorable.

Here they are, the famous Balthazar French Fries.

You probably think we skipped dessert. And why wouldn't you? I mean, just drafting this blog post made me feel even more full than I already am. But um . . . we had dessert. I cannot turn down a Tarte Tatin. It isn't possible. It's my favorite.

Claire's Pavlova. I coerced her into ordering it. It was beautiful.

My pants are tight and I've been here for less than four days. Not right. Know what else isn't right? The weather.

post signature

No comments: