Monday, April 4, 2011

insomnia, fear and blackberry disdain...


I woke up this morning at 3:30 a.m. Sleep disturbance was part of my 5 year sojourn whilst teaching Seminary, but it's been a while. I opened my laptop. After 45 minutes of surfing I gave in and went to the first floor. I looked that Cuisinart in the eye and thought, 'I am not afraid of you.' It wasn't true, but I swallowed hard and made a cake. What? You've never made a cake at 4:15 in the morning? I recommend it. The house smells awesome for the entire day. Afterwards I hand washed all the parts to my new (and improved) food processor, hand dried them . . . and I realized that machine brought me happiness. I have a new way to create. And this kind of creating brings close-to-instantaneous results and satisfaction, not to mention pleasure.

I'm a fan of Dorie Greenspan. I'm not sure, but I think Ina might have introduced me to her. She's written (many times) about a Swedish Visiting Cake. I considered it. In the end I opted to make the Scandinavian Almond Cake again. I've stopped counting how many of these little gems I've made, but I can promise you in the nine weeks since I've had the pan . . . I've made at least twenty-five. At least.

no segue...

There are no words to describe the disdain I have for the Blackberry. It is the bane of my existence, a constant irritant, a true source of misery. I take a lot of solace in the fact that there are times it mystifies my technologically blessed son. I am profoundly annoyed by it and can't wait to celebrate the finality of that contract expiration. I'm putting that thing in a bucket and lighting it on fire.

segue...

Once my son went to Scouts and told his Scoutmaster his mother thought it would be fun to put the family Christmas tree in the driveway and light it on fire. Unfortunately his Scoutmaster was a fire fighter. It did not go over well. I thought this was the worst tattling that could happen to me until a few years later . . . that's a Mothers' Day I shall never forget. Thanks a lot, Patrick.

post signature

5 comments:

cm2e said...

Cake looks good Missy.
You can tell me the Mother's Day story in a month.ci

Bride said...

I wanna hear too! Let me guess..lasertag?

Patti said...

Not lastertag. Probably best if we skip guessing here. :)

Angel said...

This was your second post about the cake, so I had to make it today. A-mazing! I actually made it into mini loaves so it would be easier to share. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Patti said...

I'm going to try that, Angel. I'm glad you were happy with it. One of my favorites...