Tuesday, April 5, 2011

a few random notes with some Butterscotch Cashew Bars

Last night I was reading Every Day I Write the Book. She is clever and funny and witty . . . and she reads quite a bit. I like her monthly "Books I Read . . . " series. Yesterday she talked about meeting Markus Zusak - his two books happen to be on my nightstand right now. I started reading I Am The Messenger first. It's terrific to know the next book on my nightstand is supposed to be the better book, because I'm really enjoying I Am The Messenger.

Sometimes I forget where I read a book review that moved me to add the title to my library queue. Remember? I'm old. Typically I wait many weeks for the books to arrive and often don't remember the story associated with the title. Usually when I open the novel I realize why I was interested. Usually. But that's the beauty of the public library . . . it's so much easier to put a book down if you haven't bought it.

Will you look at this recipe?

1/2 pound (2 sticks, or 1 cup) butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 & 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
11 ounces butterscotch chips
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon water
2 cups roasted salted whole cashews

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9″x 13″ pan with cooking spray. Using two sheets of parchment paper, line the pan’s width and length, creating a parchment “sling.” Spray parchment paper with cooking spray.

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, brown sugar, and salt for 1 to 1 & 1/2 minutes. Decrease mixer speed to low and add the flour. Mix just until combined. Lightly press dough evenly into the prepared pan. Poke holes in the dough with a fork. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is a golden color. Remove to wire rack to cool.

In a heavy saucepan over low heat, stir together butterscotch chips, corn syrup, and water. Stir until mixture comes to a simmer and butterscotch chips are melted. Pour over crust.

Sprinkle cashews over the butterscotch caramel. Bake for 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. After cooling, remove from pan and use a very sharp knife to cut into bars.

Makes 2 dozen 2-inch bars.

post signature

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Maybe we should read Book Thief on Bookish Girl??

I've read it already... but it's worth another go round!

Patti said...

Great idea.

cm2e said...

The juniors at school read I am the Messanger. Great isn't it? I've read the Book Thief also. Both great reads!
Enjoy!

Tamara said...

Just want to let you know that I made this after seeing how great it looked in the picture and they turned out AMAZING!! I want to eat them all. Like, right now...but I must pace myself. Thanks for the awesome recipe.