Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Taste of Morocco

I was dying for this cooking class. Major anticipation. I love this kind of food because it combines sweet and savory spices. Moroccan cooking features a lot of mint, parsley, cinnamon, cumin and a host of other seasonings. I know this because that's what they told me today. Prior to that I just enjoyed the taste. I'm evolving.

The menu was North African-Spiced Carrot and Parsnip Salad. Parsnips. Yum. I will definitely make this . . . and it was simple.

Chicken Tagine with Olives and Lemon was next. Olives are a passion of mine. All kinds. We made Couscous with Apricots and Almonds. Light and fluffy,the couscous was the perfect companion for the chicken dish. If you're not a fan of olives, don't let them scare you away from this recipe. A simple step of putting them in boiling water made the briny taste disappear. I will be making this recipe.


Sadly the Orange-Cardamom Ice Cream was a fail. At first I was extra disappointed because I have fresh whole cardamom at home right from India - I really wanted to learn how to make it. But then I thought, well, I really don't need that ice cream. And there's something to be said about a culinary school graduate having a bad day. It happens. Failures are a part of life, yes? See how the cup is half full, not half empty?

It must be said I have many kitchen gadgets and appliances that completely and totally do not fall into the need category. Still, I do not own a tagine. I thought I might attend this cooking class and come home with one. The teacher used a Creuset instead. Perfect.

The icing on the cake today was a pair of pink cropped pants with green embroidered palm trees in my mailbox. I'm crazy about them.

While I was in cooking class I knew I should be at Leopolds ordering wedding pastry. Eight weeks away. What's your favorite wedding punch, anyway?

post signature