Wednesday, March 16, 2011

postcards from the edge...or more things nobody cares about


The blogosphere can be so nice. Like that woman who took the time to send me a touching note after I posted this, reflecting on my son's birthday. And then there's the flip side, like when that woman sent me an email that said, "HEY, that recipe you have for Gilchrist's macaroons on your blog- it's just terrible." Both instances made me reflect. A perfect stranger took the time to send this to me? Go figure. Also, balance is good.

No segue...

My first grandson turns 12 this weekend. We mailed him a check for his birthday (and always a book) - it was sort of a milestone. A point you reach where you recognize they are old enough to want the cash more than anything you could possibly choose for them. I wrote Matthew a note - it was a little rambling - telling him about the first time I met him. I very sincerely asked his Mom if he could sleep in my room - and I meant it. Actually, if memory serves me correctly, I might have begged. That seems like an outrageous request to me from where I'm sitting right now, but at the time I just really wanted that baby near me. They are just so fascinating, no? Just what do they remember? There's nothing like a newborn...

No segue...

I read something recently about Steve Jobs. He heard someone say, "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on him and he has said, "For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something." It would be easy to let pride get in the way and opine he can make that statement because he's wealthy. I'm going to resist that temptation because I think he's right. To a certain extent we can all do it...

No segue...

My job is extra stressful right now. (Lindsay, COME BACK.) It's a fairly consistent pressure cooker on a good day, but today I felt as if I was one email away from a meltdown. It's been years since I've felt that way. I ended up doing the exact opposite of what made the most sense - I went home. I pulled out everything I needed to teach two YM/YW workshops tonight and started to review everything I'd prepared. All my worries disappeared.

No segue...

I am learning many things in my life right now. There are places I can go that bring an automatic sigh of relief when I simply sit down. I need to frequent those places more. Fairly obvious conclusion, but sometimes I'm a little thick. I have a history of learning my lessons the hard way.

No segue...

Rent Get Low. If you can make it to North End Pizza (over near 215 and Durango) do it. Don't click on the link if you hate websites with music. Their pizza was a taste of home. And finally, check out my former Seminary student/friend/husband to Bridget's best friend's blog, Sin City Eats. We have a bond, Cam and I. He knows what he's talking about.

post signature

2 comments:

Cameron said...

Thanks, Patti. Bonded we are.

Lindsay said...

You know I love you :)