Thursday, March 24, 2011

broken things... (I couldn't make this up)


This is fascinating stuff. Again.

The garage door opener broke. I suppose I don't have a single thing to complain about, honestly, because when the new garage door was installed the installation team suggested that opener would only live another month or so. That was three years ago. So yes, I had to park in the driveway for a few days, wipe the pollen off my car . . but it isn't exactly like I'm living in Japan or anything. We have a new one.

Next the dishwasher broke. Not the first time. It isn't old, it was top of the line . . .and as it turns out, that doesn't matter one single bit. I can't believe I'm saying this, but KitchenAid, you disappoint me. Again. The repair was scheduled and, just like always, it required another visit since he didn't have the part. Same old, same old.

Same day the dishwasher was fixed . . . the toilet in the master bathroom wouldn't work. Small thing. My spouse took care of it. This morning? Not so much did it work again.

Did I mention the water coming out of the faucet in the guest bathroom - and that the faucet wasn't turned on?

How about my Cuisinart? Yes, it's broken. The one kitchen appliance I own that I've repeatedly said I would replace the same day. Not replaced. I want this one so much it hurts. I just knew those cooking classes would trigger some appliance-envy...

Have I left anything out? Yes. The pretty red hose that matches my red Adirondack chair. Turned it on to water my pretty new flowering plants. An unexpected outdoor shower.

The seal on the bottom of my shower door? That metal piece with rubber attached? Yes, it broke off. Rather than fix it we placed it on the wall over the shower. That came crashing down, too. On my toe.

Last night the remote to the new garage door opener - yep. Doesn't work.

What does it all mean? What's next? Huh?

no segue...

I made this for someone last night. A little risky behavior on my part since I'd never made it before. It looked yummy. I shall make this again and maybe tweak it a little.

no segue...

Have you seen One Born Every Minute? It's awesome.

a real segue...

I held a day old baby on Tuesday. Held him, sniffed him, rocked him and stroked his velvety hair. Did you know babies wear ankle bracelets now? As in mini bracelets that remind you of house arrest and Lindsay Lohan? They do. Leave those doors and alarms go off. I'm glad I asked because I was tempted...

I am surrounded by broken things. I am not broken. I'm whole. And happy.

post signature

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Patti,
Everything at my house is broken too! What is going on??? My fridge, my TV and my washer are all on the fritz! Yikes! :) At least I don't feel alone now!

cameron & lauren said...

who had a baby? i love newborns. i love that they're so tired. all...the...time.

Patti said...

Kira Lindsay . . . and he is awesome. :)

Jerry and Sarah said...

I love you, and your blog! So fun to read, and yes, that's the way it goes. Once one thing gets fixed another breaks - that's why I'm not going to do anything about the annoying drip sound coming from the toilet in my master bath. I can live with it. If I fix it - something else will surely break, and I don't know if I can live with that.

Shae said...

My mom used to make me sour cream noodle bake when I was little and it was my favorite-est thing in the world! Fast forward to now and it's a little bland, but with some added herbs and spices, delicious.

My house always has something I have to fix. But thanks to watching the $300 plumber in the master bathroom, I was able to fix the guest bathroom problem myself. And I finally got the broken light bulb out of the ceiling fixture. Now I just have to fix the dryer....

Candace said...

makes me think if this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ag3ZKuUoy0

And you're not helping with my theory that one day, some day, we will have nice stuff that doesn't ever brake.