Wednesday, January 26, 2011

random notes from the sky...


Last month I read an article by a Vanity Fair contributor entitled, Miss Manners and the Big C. The author entertained the idea of writing a book on cancer etiquette - he happens to be a cancer patient. It was amusing. Maybe I've had more than one brush with a remark that might be considered a little "off". So in a rash moment of solidarity I fired off a letter to the editor. About three days later I had a mini-panic attack worried they might publish it.

no segue...

The Irish in me compelled me to show my spouse where the 2010 tax documents were, "just in case the plane goes down." He smirked but said nothing. He accepts that "dark" that invades my brain. If you don't understand, read Angela's Ashes or Tis: A Memoir. It will all make sense.

no segue...

Once (a very long time ago) we experimented and gave up television for a year. We enjoyed it. Then the Celtics were in a championship game and out came the box. It's been there ever since. For 26 years. Frankly, I've proposed we conduct the same 'say no to television' experiment again. For just a year. My spouse maintains the devil is the source of that notion. I can write this . . . he doesn't read my blog.

I'd like to list the things I love about Andy Bernard next, but it seems the previous paragraph makes that seem particularly silly.

What about Ben Folds? Can I tell you what I love about him? Another time.

no segue...

Love is knowing there are people in your life who adore you, even though they really know all of your flaws and weaknesses. If it isn't like that (you can't force love) and you wish it was . . . let it go. My sister was always good about reminding me about that . . . "Patti, let it go." (I just saw her pointing her finger at me when I typed that sentence.)

There you go, the first 3,000 miles...

post signature