Wednesday, August 4, 2010

O Henry

We stayed in this house once (the one with the long, wood, white staircase) about 15 years ago. After Melissa and Garett joined us (following their short honeymoon) all eight kids were there. I cannot let myself think all eight kids wouldn't recognize that house, even though I know the truth. Let me lie to myself.

Yesterday I sat right in front of that house from about 9 until 5:30. In between reading and watching my spouse take a surfing lesson I thought about that vacation. I was reminded of O Henry's observation of life when he said it consisted of "sobs, sniffles and smiles, with sniffles predominating." It seems he was right, but the smiles times . . . they are awesome. Such was yesterday.

Here he is taking his first of five surfing lessons. He claims the suit makes the water feel warm, which translates to "I'm so buying one of these before I go home."

Many surfers from about 9 till noon . . . the waves are crashing and they're mesmerizing.

I finished the Emily Giffin book. Definition of a beach read, which is a nice way of saying, let's face it, chick lit. Whatever.

I am close to finishing The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand. I have to admit it was the book I was the least excited about, but I chose it because her books are set in Nantucket. You just can't take the Yankee out of me. As it turns out, yes, it falls into the beach read category . . . but I like it. I like Elin Hilderbrand.

post signature

1 comment:

Bride said...

Oh my head it is so weird to see that house again I SO remember..walking down those stairs..