Saturday, June 19, 2010

retro things and miscellaneous stuff...


Seven crowns. Seven new crowns. That's what I woke up with yesterday morning. They're not on my head, although sometimes an anesthesia haze can fool you. Done. Behind me.

No segue...

Seminary kids were outraged by my confession that I'd never seen Up. A few boys made me promise . . . so I made good on the promise, put my aversion to animation aside and I watched. Five minutes into the movie I looked at my spouse and said, "WHAT kind of movie is this?" I persevered and I'm so happy I did. Thank you, boys, for insisting. You were right. Your grape soda pins will soon be delivered.

No segue...




For about a year now I've been searching for (and buying) old mercury Christmas ornaments. Interesting glass ornaments like Kugel ornaments (silver picture) and some Kurt Adler glass Santa ornaments. It all started with last year's Christmas tree. I decorated it with brand spanking new Pottery Barn ornaments I bought the year before on clearance. I hated it. The new (and rather large) ornament collection looked rustic and interesting, but once on the tree it looked boring and not even close to Christmas-ey. I took them down, completely dismantled the tree and brought out some old glass ornaments. My tree ended up looking old fashioned and vintage like, complete with unwrapped, pretty, red and white candy canes . . . I fell in love with it. Since then I've slowly added to the collection of glass and mercury ornaments, including some of those vintage "indent" ornaments I remember from my childhood, and even some of those Shiny Brite ornaments. The collection is building. I like.

No segue...

You know those tricks you sometimes play on yourself . . . like setting your alarm 15 minutes before you have to get up just so you wake up knowing you don't have to get up for 15 minutes? You do this, right? This year we are going to the beach for vacation. On July 31st. Now it's the middle of June and vacation seems close because, after all, we're going in July. Tell me you get it.

No segue...

Today I'm making two of these, attending an open house for a former Seminary student (home from a mission in Connecticut) and meeting up with family for a Fathers' Day celebration at Settebello. In between, while working on those mundane Saturday tasks, I'll be watching Smash His Camera. What are you doing?

post signature