Sunday, June 27, 2010

palm goodbye... and chicken en papillote


I bought the Blackberry Bold, and not because I needed it. My green eyes got the better of me and I caved. I have blue eyes, but you know what I mean...

I know Tom Cruise is a (insert descriptive phrase), but knowing he does his own stunts made me want to see Knight and Day. I guess this is why he hasn't stopped talking about it. Still, if you like a movie for the escape, this one goes to Boston, Seville and Salzburg, so it's fun.

The next day I saw Grown Ups. The theatre was packed and the movie was predictably abysmal. I can't even give them props for shooting a scene in Woodman's because (brace yourself) they ordered hamburgers. I miss that place.

I made Chicken in Parchment (chicken en papillote) today . . . it took 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven and it was extra healthy:

• 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup sliced mushrooms
• 1/4 cup scallions
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1/2 cup chopped tomato
• 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
• parchment paper

Tear a 20x12-inch piece of parchment paper; fold in half crosswise and crease. Open up again. On half of one parchment sheet, arrange chicken and all the ingredients on top. To make packet, fold parchment paper over chicken and vegetables. Crimp and fold edges to seal; twist corners. Place packet on a pie plate and bake in a 400° oven for about 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. (To test, carefully open the packets and peek.) Serve immediately.

Not your Boy Scout's foil dinner, all I'm saying. It was yummy.

At the same time I was eating my healthy Sunday dinner this was in the oven. And this was already on the cake plate, but in the form of small individual cakes. Contradictions in life...

Next on my kitchen "to do" list resides here. I made these at Christmas with apples and, um . . . fantastic. Now that I've found those bottled cherries at Trader Joe's I'm in.

Next up? "More is better..."

post signature