Friday, October 2, 2009

best laid plans, evidence of beige, candy ...

Yesterday someone in my office made an observation about me that was amusing. She pointed out I will drive and drive all over the city for the right bakery item. Her tendency is to stay in her neighborhood and I'm off to Water Street or Summerlin or Boulder City for the right cookie made with marzipan. It's true. Cookies call out my name.

. . . . .

Last Saturday I received a voicemail from Ticketmaster ... don't go to the M Resort tonight because that Crosby, Stills and Nash concert is canceled. I'm a planner. I drive even myself crazy. As it turns out the concert was poolside - and last Saturday happened to be a triple digit day. Not so much did I mind. See? I can be flexible.

Right.

I am not going to Salt Lake City today.

Instead I will work on the vast beige that is my house and try to add some color? Any suggestions? I can add fall colors and use them for October and November . . . then switch things up with Christmas colors. What say you?


I downloaded a book for our ride to Salt Lake. We are not car travelers. Instead we are like children when it comes to a road trip - there is whining involved and lots of 'how much longer?' kinds of questions. We were hoping our Beatles Remastered Boxed Set would arrive before we left . . . backorder. What's up with that? All that hype and everybody is backordered? So instead of singing our way to Utah we decided to just give that 'book on CD' thing a shot. Has this worked for you? I'm driving to Idaho in November . . . help me.


I have my stark white bed back and I love it . . . but I need a splash of color. It's time to introduce something, even if it's just a pillow. Help.

. . . . .

This looks like a fun basket of candy, no? Actually, it's not even a basket of candy. It's the definition of BRIBERY. And it works. Doubtful education classes extol the virtues of bribery in a classroom, but it works. I had 26 kids pass off on a three-verse scripture mastery this morning, all for a Starburst. Life is good. Part of the morning was also about this. I have leftovers in the beginning of the year - they're more reserved in October than they are in January. It amuses me. In January I will probably blog about teenage boys taking plates of O Henry Bars to school.

. . . . .

Many years ago The Mayor was explaining his approach to his baldness. "Would I rather have hair, Patti? Yes, I would. Am I losing sleep over the fact that I don't? No." This is a man who follows his bliss. Because he inspires me, today, just like always, I am in pursuit of balance. He has it. I'm not going to whine about finding that balance (insert exercise, sleep, office demands, home demands, eating healthy, lists, lists, lists) because, first, that's what MySpace is all about (whining girls) and this is a blog about meatloaf and bakeries. Mature things. Second, I have a really great life. How many people can say they don't have a temporal need in the world? And I have so much more than that.

So I'm headed to a yoga class and the beast that is known as Walmart. Yoga + Walmart = Balance. Not even. I'm still pursuing

post signature

9 comments:

Melissa said...

What's wrong with me? I like all the beige.

Patti said...

I like it, too. I do. It's all I ever wanted after all the floral and plaid fabrics.

hmmm...

Patti said...

Maybe just a little orange?

cameron & lauren said...

i love your house. i've always loved the beige. we have an all white bed but cameron said it looked like we lived in a hospital so we finally bought two gold pillows and one teal and one brown and teal stripes. adds a little color and i ended up loving them. i'm so sad you're not coming to utah...come everntually! we'll make you yummy dinner!

rychelle said...

ok, so i'm in love with this orange/blue room featured in this collage:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34501627@N02/3750726007/

your house is charming.

have you been to retro bakery? i am in love with their cupcakes right now.

Melissa said...

Ooooh... Orange sounds fun.

JoshAndKylaGroneman said...

I love LOVE your house. You have re arranged everything since the last time i was there. I think its wonderful. It looks like pottery barn! Add A burnt orange. I used that in my house & it makes the beige look awesome.
<3 YOU.

Shae said...

How about a burnt orange and a bit of dark sage? Michaels is full of those colors right now and you could just do accent pieces. Then change for Christmas.

Can I tell you how lucky your seminary students are? I'd study like crazy for your baking. And FYI, Trader Joe's Whoopie Pies are nothing, NOTHING next to yours!

cm2e said...

this would be a good question for my sister. she would get right into it. me, i'd just get some throw pillows. and maybe a quilt.

useful AND colorful!