Friday, August 21, 2009

Laguna Thursday


Sigh. I landed right back on the point counting wagon yesterday. There's nothing like knowing you're about to be standing in front of a roomful of high school students Monday morning to keep you honest. Being stuffed into a suit just isn't an option. Back to reality. The "you can't eat what you want" reality.

It was another hazy Laguna Beach morning. Did that stop us? No. On the walk to the beach we discussed how neither one of us feels the monotony of the morning ritual at all. We pack those backpack chairs, put on the sunscreen, grab the sunglasses and walk down the same hill each day. Not monotony. This can only mean that we were made for each other. This and the fact that we both love to dance and neither one of us CAN dance AND that we love the movies. How bad would that feel to be the lone movie buff in a relationship?

No segue.

I left the beach for a few minutes today to go back to the Skandia Bakery to buy my other half a snickerdoodle and a sugar cookie. You know, because I'm a giver. Also, I like to feed people. I grabbed his 'BYU School of Mechanical Engineering' sweatshirt, pulled it over my head and headed downtown. A woman with a very serious face promptly handed me a printed brochure entitled "Why Women Need Freedom from Religion." It was full of craziness, but it's made an excellent bookmark! The woman was frantic to deliver me from whatever. . . she left her perch next to the man with 6 varieties of birds (I'm Brian Fellows) to run that over to me. Laguna Beach can be funny.

Like today, for instance, I saw a man with really white chest hair down the middle of his torso, but with thick black hair covering both sides of his chest. I am not even kidding when I tell you this, but when I saw him headed toward us I was certain he was wearing the top of a bathing suit. A bikini top. I know, I know, it reads as if I am exaggerating for emphasis. I'm not. I have a witness.

This is the Sexy Handroll from 242 Cafe Fusion Sushi. They consider their raw fish to be high art and signs on the wall warn you not to blunt the flavors with soy sauce or wasabi. We didn't ask. It was awesome. And beautiful.

No segue.

There's a funky downtown shop here that calls my name every year. I gravitate toward this shop, despite the fact that it's unlikely anything in that shop would ever make an appearance in my home. Today we figured it out - it reminds me of my sister. Now I just want to sit on the bench outside that shop and take it in.

No segue.

I am reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying this book. I've been a McSweeney's fan for a long time . . . I should have known to pick this up many years ago.

A few random images from the day from Bristol Farms, the most beautiful market I've ever laid eyes on:

post signature

3 comments:

rychelle said...

i absolutely adore you for making a brian fellows reference. :)

Patti said...

HA!

cori said...

i want to go to there.