Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cafe Zoolu

Lest you think we went to some fancy Laguna Beach restaurant, here's the evidence. Not so fancy. The place is run by a hippie couple who once had a restaurant on Maui. It's all about the swordfish.

The very unpretentious menu...

I had the trio of swordfish. Crazy good. One blackened with a corn salsa, one with a lemon butter and caper sauce and, the star of the trio, the macadamia nut swordfish. I gave all my attention to that macadamia creation . . . let me tell you, it was fabulous. It was mildly sweet and I couldn't figure it out . . . just as we were leaving I saw him make the sauce. Macadamia nuts in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil, tossed for a few minutes. He added amaretto (yep, that's what I said) and an obscene amount of butter. Now I know...

David's macadamia nut swordfish...

This one's for you, Zach . . . hippie Cafe Zoolu owner's bus. His wife told us the demand in the Laguna area is through the roof, with one refurbished bus recently selling for $35,000!


post signature

No comments: