Friday, March 13, 2009

More Catholicism, roots and selling a house . . .


Yes, this is my house and it is for sale. People, these are desperate times. It's been 45 days and nobody is interested in my house. Not one person has looked.

Let it be known. I am a micromanaging fool. I have lists and lists of lists and palm pilots and ticklers and reminders and HotSync-ing Outlook prompts. When a situation is beyond my control, I don't do well. DO.NOT.DO.WELL. The uncertainty of it all makes me crazy.

Stands to reason this has been the topic of conversation at my regular Tuesday lunch date with my Dad. You know, the lunch where someone inevitably refers to him as my husband and manages to tick me off to the point of no return. Sometimes, just sometimes, the Cheesecake Factory negates those remarks. I digress.

Tuesday lunch topic is Patti's inability to sell her house. And Dad remembers. He remembers being in a similar situation in Plantation, Florida. No lookers. And then one day someone tells him of The Legend of St. Joseph. Joseph, The Home Seller. I could not make this up. Read on.


Right now a 3" statue of St. Joseph is in my possession. He is "honored as the patron saint of married couples, families, carpenters and workingmen. March 19, his feast day, is especially celebrated by people of Italian and Polish descent.

Over the years a tradition arose of St. Joseph having a special power in real estate transactions. European nuns buried a medal with his likeness on property they hoped to acquire. Gradually medals were replaced with statues and the focus changed from buying to selling.

The reasons behind using this particular saint are his strong connections with families, homes and moving.

Today people of all religious denominations follow the tradition of using a St. Joseph statue to help sell their home. They bury it upside down with the feet pointing to heaven. Some face him toward the home; others face him away. Near the "For Sale" sign; in the backyard; in a corner; in flower pots (favored by condo owners). After the buyer has secured financing and the deal is sealed, the statue is removed and given a place of honor in the seller's new home."

Notice the quotations. I especially loved the "favored by condo owners" remark.

I am not Italian. I am not Polish. I am not Catholic. So I ask you. Shall I bury him? Upside down? Talk amongst yourselves.

P.S. My dad sold his house immediately after putting St. Joseph in the front window.

P.S.S. Next up, voodoo dolls.

post signature

8 comments:

rychelle said...

are you leaving las vegas?

Melissa said...

Bury that thing! Feet up! (I'm so getting one when it comes time to sell.)

Melissa Everett said...

im sorry... but I am still laughing at you... no doing so well! only because I am the same way!

I vote to bury it!! ... maybe 2 of them!! why not!! Ha!!! Good luck!!

Patti said...

I'm pretty sure I will die in Las Vegas. Not leaving the city ...

Lisa said...

Good luck with the house! It looks great from the outside.

I went to Catholic School - St. Joseph High School. I never knew what he was the patron Saint of (until now). :)

Gramps said...

http://www.snopes.com/luck/stjoseph.asp

Lindsay said...

Ooooh! I hope that works! I would bury it too!

Michelle said...

oh I'd be all over that one! Good luck!