Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My perfectly shaped Christmas tree...


When I was a kid we went to one of the many Christmas tree lots in the city to choose our yearly tree. Think A Christmas Story. Swear. Inevitably it was the coldest night in December and three out of the four of us (love ya, Dad) were very particular about that tree. No bare spots, perfectly shaped and extra fresh. Again, a happy holiday memory for lots of reasons, including that Christmas music on the AM car radio. Go Bing.

Fast forward. Like 45 years fast forward.

Tonight I will drive down a major cross street to Star Nursery and choose my Christmas tree. My iTrip will play the music I choose and I will probably go through the Starbucks drive-thru and order some nonfat steamed milk with vanilla so I can, you know, pretend. The standard for that tree is still the same, no bare spots, perfectly shaped and extra fresh. But there's no snow. No cold. And this tree will be delivered curbside, which I guess is better than that year I had L.L. Bean ship me my Christmas tree. Make no mistake, though, I still love this chore.

No segue: Did you know it's against the law in Nevada to tie a Christmas tree to the roof of your husband's car? No? It isn't? I need clarification.

I like to remember Christmas in the 1960's. It's just like the pictures.

post signature

9 comments:

Caitlin said...

Russ and I went out to a tree farm in Horseshoe Bend and picked out our tree. It's not super tall (like I've been conditioned to prefer) but it is so perfect and full. It's in the corner in its stand right now. How long before I can put the lights on, again? Waiting for the tree to fall when you're a kid is, like, the worst thing ever.

Patti said...

I think "you need to wait to decorate until the branches fall" is a ploy perpetuated by dads who want to postpone the inevitable.

Patti said...

And Martha says 150 lights per foot . . .

rychelle said...

what a great tradition!

happy tree finding.

Melissa said...

L.L. Bean will deliver your tree?

Patti said...

They deliver it in a very large box all waxed inside... it's not very Christmas-ey at all, having your tree delivered by a UPS man.

Gramps said...

You forgot to mention that you,Mom and min stayed in the warm car and shook your heads no when I would stand up a tree. Finally I would say the hell with it and grab one.

Patti said...

HA! I did forget to mention that . . .

Bride said...

bahahha thats funny. mom your blog is so popular..