Monday, December 1, 2008

Holiday remembering and things I forgot...


This year I forgot to hand out those Trader Joe's Advent Calendars I bought (a month ago) for my grandchildren. You know, the kind that have chocolates behind each door and window? Those Advent Calendars bring back happy (childhood) holiday memories . . . which remains a bit of a mystery to me since my sister and I had to share, a concept I sometimes think is more difficult when there are just two siblings. Just a theory. If it happened to be her night to open the window or door it wasn't my night. The true bottom line here is, well, we took nightly turns during Advent at being unhappy. STILL, it's somehow a happy memory, and sharing that brings some vicarious holiday pleasure.

I forgot to make the caramel brownies, although I managed to assign someone the task of unwrapping those caramels and making a special trip to the grocery store on Wednesday night for a forgotten ingredient. Go figure.

I forgot the sweet potatoes in the garage refrigerator, all ready to be baked in their brown sugar, pecan crusty goodness, probably because it was the first time I've ever served sweet potatoes.

I forgot an entire dessert in the same garage refrigerator. We never missed it.

I forgot my new oven has a warming tray. S.M.A.R.T.

I forgot to keep my camera handy, huge disappointment because the thankful balloon launch would have been extra appropriate for a post-holiday blog post. Although audio probably would have been better . . . especially at the "kids' table" when they just sat down for dinner and said "I'm not hungry." That might have been my favorite part of the day.

post signature

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm still dreaming of Thanksgiving food... especially the turkey/stuffing. And it looks like forgotten things can still equal a perfect day. Thanks for giving us such a wonderful giant family memory. (Giant applies to both the family and the memory.)

Melissa said...

p.s. I think I need to go get an advent calendar before the 1st is over! We got some Christmas arguing to do 'round here!

Caitlin said...

I was at Cost Plus at Halloween time and they had them. I told Russell if I didn't buy it right then, they would be gone. We didn't buy it. And now I don't have one.

Seriously, that turkey was bomb.

Amber said...

You sound like my mom! And I heard about the balloons. That is such a good idea.