Wednesday, November 26, 2008

prep...

The furniture has been moved, couches huddled together to make room for tables that have been picked up. Practical tables. New vegetable peelers are ready. Fresh herbs in their pots, figs, pine nuts and cranberries. The menu was put together a month ago, typewritten and attached to lists of groceries needed at different shops around the city. Turkey at the butcher, cornmeal at Trader Joe's, and those pickles you have to have with your leftover sandwich.

There's pumpkin cheesecake and tiramisu. Apple dumplings with vanilla ice cream and homemade caramel corn. And no cake. Not right.

For a week I've been waking up extra early each day. Inevitably I end up in the family room watching Miracle on 34th Street or Little Women, enjoying myself. This morning I remembered Thanksgiving at my grandmother's . . . those sterling silver candy dishes on the buffet, one filled with mixed nuts, the other with chocolates. They meant the holidays. So I reached into my cabinet and took them out. A little silver polish is all I need . . . and mixed nuts and chocolates. Building memories, it's a good thing.

Happy Thanksgiving.

post signature

6 comments:

Dylan said...

So, "Practical tables" is an euphemism for "church tables"?

But seriously, this sounds goood. I'm jealous.

Have a great holiday.

Amber said...

I'm jealous too. Your thanksgiving is probably so yummy. I hope you enjoy your thanksgiving with your family!

Melissa Everett said...

Dylan is funny!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Patti said...

YES, church tables. Exactly...

Shae said...

Patti-
Happy Thanksgiving. And thank you for making me seem not all that obsessive. I only made three desserts.
Love,
Shae

raffleckt said...

I am jealous of your family! Yum-o!