Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chocolate Dipped Almond Cookies


I visited the library to pick up the seven books waiting for me, on the shelf, with my very own name on them. My queue was full (oh how I love the local library). I have everything fromThe Magnolia Bakery Cookbook to some old James Beard books. Life is good.

I picked up Martha Stewart's Christmas, despite the fact that I own my own copy. I can't exactly put my hands on it right now, but I can't live without it. Inside this awesome book is a recipe for Chocolate Dipped Almond Cookies . . . I make them every year. I love this recipe.

2 sticks unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 t. vanilla extract
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/4 t. salt
1 1/3 cups finely chopped blanched almonds

FOR DECORATION:

6 oz. semisweet chocolate
3 T. unsalted butter
1 T. hot water
Chopped almonds for garnish

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla, then the flour, salt, and finely chopped almonds, mixing well.

Shape the dough into 2 rolls, each 1 1/2" in diameter. Wrap rolls and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/4" slices. Place 1 to 2 inches apart on baking sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, just until lightly browned. Cool on a rack.

In the top of a double boiler melt the chocolate and butter for the topping. Add the hot water and stir until smooth. Dip and edge of each cookie into the chocolate, then sprinkle with the chopped almonds. Cool on a rack until the chocolate hardens.

post signature