Thursday, October 9, 2008

Step back in time...

Today's office conversation brought me back to a time when my kids were really little. A coworker described her toddler's obsession with The Backyardigans. Not surprisingly I am clueless about this particular show (thus the link), but I couldn't help but reminisce about like-minded toddler obsessions. Especially ones that now bring a smile to my face.

Caity was obsessed with the movie Annie. I mean it when I tell you the kid just couldn't get enough. In the end that movie is the reason my mom was "Annie" rather than "Nanny". Cait knew every line, every word, every song. Fast forward 25 years and that movie has a tender spot in my heart. It brings a smile to my face and I just can't help myself.

Zach's perpetual movie of choice (and this says a lot about his personality, even at that age) was H.G. Wells' The Time Machine. It was scary. And a little creepy. He was 2, and he loved it . . . a toddler watching Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux over and over again? I'm smiling.

Patrick's maniacal love was The Brave Little Toaster. Even typing this I can see members of my family glazing over at the mention of this movie [David]. I actually remember hiding that videotape hoping he might forget about it. He never did. By the time this kid turned 3 tolerance was low for The Brave Little Toaster.

(Know what's funny about the imdb link to The Brave Little Toaster? It has spoiler alerts. Think about that.)

Bridget . . . not so much did she have a toddler movie obsession. She waited a little longer than everyone else. At a very early age she loved a tender-hearted movie, a love story. Bridie's brothers learned very early on how to get their sister to watch a movie with them . . . "Bridget, there's love in this movie." [It was always a lie.] When Forever Young came out she sat on the edge of our bed with tears in her eyes at this tale of true love. Others followed . . . I'd need her permission to publish that list.

And then, of course, we can see even younger members of our family have their own obsessions. It isn't annoying at all now. In fact, it's cute.

post signature

4 comments:

Bride said...

that movie is so good!!!

i remember brace little toaster vividly and i think THAT is the creepy one..

Bride said...

brave**

Melissa said...

It's true! Those are good memories... and they really do reflect the individuals, don't they? Bridget, you and Grace are soul sisters.

Kelly said...

The Backyardigans have some seriously catchy songs - Brett walked around for two weeks with one stuck in his head (then he transferred it to me for two weeks). BTW, are you kidding me with that donut muffin? I'm drooling...