Friday, October 24, 2008

Christmas, IKEA and Cookies


A few years ago I was browsing through a holiday catalog from my favorite New York gourmet store, Dean & Deluca. Their catalogs are always full of specialty meats, gourmet cheeses and beautiful seasonal bakery items. I immediately noticed their featured gingerbread cookie ornaments. I wanted them. The boxes were small and they were pricey, but my Christmas tree is important to me, two boxes full of important to me. I ordered. When they arrived half of each box was filled with broken cookies. I called Dean & Deluca and they immediately shipped two more boxes. I salvaged what I could out of the two original boxes and waited for the next two boxes. Same deal, still broken cookies, but in the end I was satisfied. I tackled the task of stringing each cookie with twine. Loved it. As it turns out, so did Otis, who walked directly over to my Christmas tree and proceeded to munch on the ornaments. Truly Christmas for him.

I suppose it was no surprise to me that Dean & Deluca discontinued those cookies. I'm certain they shipped many replacement boxes the year they offered them. Imagine my delight when I walked into IKEA the first weekend in October only to see a pallet of gingerbread cookie ornmanets in large boxes. No price. It was clear they'd just arrived. I walked to the register and, I'm not going to lie, my heart was racing. I was excited. Nothing scanned. The 15-year-old said "$4.50?" with an "Is that too much?" face. Three boxes, thank you very much. This year the cookies will be strung with baker's twine. Do you think 100 yards was too much?

Tell me your Christmas ideas for this year.

post signature

1 comment:

Amber said...

Christmas ideas? I don't know, I am pretty boring. Just trying to get thru halloween. Glad you found the cookies. :)