Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hali'imaile General Store

We drove to the middle of nowhere tonight to try Bev Gannon's restaurant. It was worth navigating some crazy narrow roads to try the award winning chef's Hawaiian fare.
This appetizer is the reason I wanted to have dinner at Hali'imaile General Store. The Sashimi Napoleon is layers of smoked salmon, Ahi tartare and sashimi ahi between won tons. You can see how beautiful it is, which makes it difficult to do what they tell you to do when they serve it. Their suggestion is to take the special knife they give you and cut up that beautiful napoleon, drizzle the wasabi vinaigrette and toss it all together. I took their advice. I am telling you that appetizer alone was worth the drive. So so fabulous. Pretty sure I will be dreaming about this tonight.

Their ribs . . . yum.

Well, this dessert was terrific. A lilikoi (passionfruit) creme brulee served in an almond tuille cookie with a berry fruit compote. It was beautiful and lucious.

David's rustic apple tart (one of my favorite things) with vanilla bean ice cream.

I am wasted. From fun.

post signature

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

That apple tart looks awesome. I think I'll have to make on this weekend...