Sunday, May 4, 2008

Christmas in Maui


The floor we're staying on at this hotel has a suite for guests and it reminds me of Christmas morning. You never really know what you're going to find in there. It's a series of surprises that seem to last all day long . . . no matter what time of day you happen to drop by something fun has just been displayed.

Last night we discovered a sterling silver bucket of signature homemade macadamia nut ice cream right next to a bowl of fresh raspberries and strawberries. Tonight it was mango sorbet. I had no intention of trying that sorbet tonight (inside I was mad it wasn't the macadamia nut ice cream) until a couple came in from one of the balconies and the female half of that couple shrieked at me (in a very animated kind of way), "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T TRY THAT SORBET." Then she suggested I also try the vanilla cheesecake, the coconut pie AND the biscotti. She was serious.

Today at 2 p.m. they served "afternoon tea." I didn't notice tea. What I DID notice . . . homemade scones with clotted cream and assorted jams. And the brie and artichoke sandwiches. And crab tarts. See what I mean? Christmas. Did I mention those bowls of chocolate covered macadamia nuts? AND DIET COKE.

At 5 p.m. they offer Hawaiian appetizers (pupus). OUTRAGEOUS. Today there was a beautiful marinated duck breast, stacked red and yellow beets with goat cheese (you know how I feel about goat cheese), antipasto and crab pancakes.

In a lot of ways this 8th floor experience reminds me of a cruise, except the food is really really good.

Count on pictures of cookies . . .

post signature

2 comments:

Gramps said...

I just gained 10 pounds.
The place looks great.....enjoy.

Caitlin said...

That sounds absolutely insane! You are never going to want to come home.